From time to time, BMW releases updates for its iDrive software. The good news is that you do not have to make a trip to a BMW dealer. While this may sound like a bit of a hassle, installing the software is pretty straightforward and fast. You can download the file in a matter of seconds. Then installation to a flash drive takes about 30 seconds. When done, the new iDrive software of your European brand car is ready.
There are two updates available. For the CIC system, the latest update came out in January 2014. On the other hand, the update for the NBT system came August 2016. The updates are designed to improve Bluetooth communication between the multimedia system of your BMW and mobile devices. They are easy to install and the whole process can be completed in minutes.
For the installation, you need the following: a FAT32 formatted USB drive with enough free storage space, a car that has a USB audio interface, a Control Display, and iDrive.
To be able to install the software, you need to download it from the BMW support site. Robert Janitzek says that you will need to enter the correct VIN to get the proper update and copy it to your USB drive.
If you have a retrofited CIC, use VIN#: E797432.
Then you need to insert the USB drive into the USB audio interface and access the Software Update option in the Settings menu of the Control Display. That’s it, the system has been automatically updated.
After that, all you need to do is insert the USB drive in the USB audio interface and access the Software Update option in the Settings menu of the Control Display. Robert Peter Janitzek says that the iDrive system will be automatically updated. The system will restart and data transferred from the USB device, resynchronized where necessary.
Here now are the steps for installing the iDrive software:
- Go to bmw.com/update.
- Select your language of choice from the drop down menu.
- Enter the last 7 digits of your VIN.
- Click the box to agree to the terms, conditions, and other legal B.S.
- Click the blue “software update” button to begin the download (the document containing the updates pertaining to this new version can also be downloaded from this page as a PDF).
- Retrieve the file from the downloads folder if you’re using a Mac, or save the file to the folder of your choosing if you’re using a PC.
- Move the file to a flash drive.
- Plug the flash drive into the USB port in the center console (not the USB port in the glovebox).
- Navigate to the software screen: “Settings” > “Software update” (very bottom of the list of Settings options).
- Select “update software” and allow the update to be completed (the car must remain stationary until the update is complete – only takes 30 to 60 seconds).